The Goonies is a 5-reel 20-payline slot, inspired by the smashing hit of the same name from 1985, following a group of young misfits on a quest to find ancient gold. Blueprint Gaming got the rights from Warner Bros. to take the movie premise and breathe a new life into it via its 2018 online slot game.
The Goonies Slot Review
Thirty-three years after the movie The Goonies hit the theaters, Blueprint Gaming released its online slot game version. The 2018 game is a modern-looking slot with a 5×3 grid and colorful elements, all of which are inspired by the 1985 movie.
Even if you don’t feel any 80s nostalgia, there are still plenty of reasons why you ought to give this game a chance. To learn about those reasons, just keep on reading our online slot review.
The Goonies Slot Game Theme, Design, and Symbols
Blueprint Gaming got the rights from Warner Bros. to create this casino game, meaning that everything you see in the slot game is not inspired by the movie, but is actually taken from it. The slot uses the images, as well as the music from the film, giving you a real Goonies vibe.
When it comes to the symbols, excluding the card symbols (A, K, Q, and J), all have something to do with the story of the 1985 movie. For example, the highest-paying regular symbol is a pirate flag (Jolly Roger), which comes with the inscription “Never Say Die,” which is one of the most famous quotes from the film.
How to Play The Goonies Slot Game Online?
The Goonies slot has an RTP of 96% and rocks a 5-reel x 3-row layout with 20 fixed paylines. You win when three, four, or five symbols line up on one of the paylines, it’s as simple as that.
Another thing that’s simple is starting off the game. You just need to select your total bet, which you can do by using the button on the left side. On the opposite end is the play button, which, when clicked/tapped, starts spinning the reels.
The game is simple to play, but it does come with some extra features. For example, The Goonies slot has wild symbols, stacked wilds, scatters, guaranteed big-win spins, and so on.
The Goonies slot packs a large number of special features that can boost your chance of winning in the base game. Those include the following:
- Adding extra wilds to the reels (Truffle Shuffle)
- Putting additional scatters on the reels to increase the chance of winning (One-Eyed Willy’s Bonus Boost)
- Turning reels into stacked wilds (Mikey’s Hidden Riches)
- Creating a Colossal Reel from three adjacent reels (Data’s Colossal Symbols)
- Adding gold symbols to the reels, revealing a random symbol to make a win (Mouth’s Lucky Coins)
In addition, there’s also a win spin feature that guarantees that big wins will come your way. There’s also a scythe symbol that can aid in creating a winning combo, while a cave collapse can bring you wins with symbol drops.
If you get three bonus symbols anywhere on the reels, the bonus wheel will start spinning to decide which of the six available bonuses you’re going to get. The bonuses in question are the following:
- Goonies Go Wild Free Spins: All of the highest-paying symbols will turn into wilds
- Inferno Free Spins: Adjoined reels (up to three of them) go wild at the start of the spin
- Super Sloth Free Spins: Every picture symbol that gets on the reels is turned into a high-paying symbol
- Skeleton Organ Bonus: It’s a pick-a-prize round in which you select organ keys to win different prizes
- Fratelli Hideout Bonus: Another pick-a-prize round, similar to the Skeleton Organ Bonus
- One-Eyed Willie’s Treasure Bonus: A wheel of fortune spins to determine which multiplier you’ll get
Excluding One-Eyed Willie’s Treasure Bonus, all the other five bonuses will give you a chance to win another bonus round.
The Goonies Slot Paytable
|3 on the Payline
|4 on the Payline
|5 on the Payline
|Q and J cards
|A and K cards
|Skeleton and Scale
|Treasure chest and pirate ship
The Jolly Roger symbol is the one that will bring you a 2x win if two of them get on the payline. Further, two wild symbols will give you a 2x pay as well. Speaking of the wilds, they can appear anywhere on the reels, paying 40x for three of them, 100x for four, and 500x for five.
The slot game online might seem overly complicated with its special features and different bonuses, but that shouldn’t concern you much. You can simply spin the reels and keep doing the same until you’ve had enough. Or you can turn on the autopilot function. Still, we do think the former is the better option as this is a very fun game to play even if you’re not too crazy about the 80s.